There is nothing that will deter you from wearing your favorite summer sundress more than a farmer’s tan. If you’re a runner or a hiker summer is a great time for your sport, but can be tricky when it comes to more formal clothing. There are a few things you should keep in mind when starting out your summer to protect your skin and make sure you aren’t getting tan lines that make certain clothing items off-limits.
- Make sure you exfoliate every night. Exfoliating will rub off the top layer of skin cells that have been exposed to the sun. This will not only keep your skin smooth and healthy. It will also help you keep your farmer’s tan at bay. If you are looking for a home remedy, you can exfoliate with a mixture of sugar and honey.
- Wear plenty of sunscreen. Not just that SPF 5 stuff that keeps you from getting burnt. You will need at least SPF 15 to prevent your skin from tanning while you are playing tennis or going for a run.
- Be careful of what clothing you wear. If you are going to be outside and wearing a t-shirt, try to make your activities happen in the morning or evening. You will be exposed to less direct sunlight and will be less likely to tan from just the bicep down. If you are going out in the middle of the day when the sun’s rays are more direct, wear clothing that won’t give you tan lines where your don’t want them.
- Give your body time to tan. If you are going to be out in the sun wearing clothing that’s sure to create a line, set aside some time to let the rest of your arms and shoulders be exposed to the sun. This will even out the line so you can be sundress ready. It is important to remember not to lay out for too long. You do not want to burn the areas of your skin that do not get as much sun exposure.
- Try some sunless tanner. If you do end up with uneven skin tones and you need a last-minute remedy, sunless tanning is an option. You will want to find something light that will not turn your skin orange. Give yourself some time to try it out before you go to your event because the last thing you want is orange arms. Trying it out beforehand will help you know how much you need. The sunless tanner starts to work in just a few minutes and will even out your skin tone.